1. Early History

Originally Kirkby-in-Ashfield was one parish, with the parish church being St Wilfrid’s.  In the mid-late 1800’s the population increased rapidly, due in large part to the growth in coal mining and there was a need for additional places of worship.  A church was built in Kirkby Woodhouse in 1860 and a small iron building was erected in 1878 in East Kirkby, on the site of the current St Thomas Church Hall,  to be a church to serve the east side of the town.  Occasional services were held there led by Rev. T Woodman. The first curate to be appointed to the church was Rev. Adams. 
 
 
 
                                    
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

Advertisements

Posted March 21, 2011 by stthomaschurchkirkby